The results are in from the All-Ireland Hedge Laying Championships 2023!
Overall Champion: Robert Hogg
Overall Runner-Up: Steve Bass
Best Novice: Brendan Reddin
Best Regrowth: Adrian Fitzpatrick
Most Improved: Robert Hogg
Best Binders: Steve Bass
A huge thank you to all our skilled competitors and organisers, Norman, Anne and Clive – without whom the Championships wouldn’t exist! We’re also grateful to our hosts, Millbank Farm and our judges, Roger Parris, and Russell and Mandy Woodham. The day was made better still by our exhibitors – and the donkeys!
Our exhibitors included:
- Artist and sculptor, Owen Crawford, who worked live on a wood carving piece.
- A showcase of Ireland’s handweaving and spinning heritage by Born In A Field. In addition to demonstrations and Q&A, they had a range of our pure wool handwoven Donegal Tweed items available to purchase.
- More hand spinning with Maureen from Hook Yarn Spinner.
- Musician, storyteller and writer, Willie Drennan.
- Leatherwork with The Irish Saddler.
- Woodworking and handcarving with Mícheál of Fiach Rua Timber Crafts, who demonstrated handle making and axe use.
- A look into honeybees with Mervyn Warrington from the Killinchy Beekeepers Association.
- A chance to learn about nature with Ulster Wildlife.
- Scything and display of traditional countryside tools with Andy the Scythe Guy.
- Husqvarna agents, McIlrath and Son
- A display of vintage tractors and other machinery!
Check out this lovely article about the Championships in the Westmeath Examiner: click here to read. What a lovely piece about hedge laying and celebrating Robert’s success in our recent Championships! And also highlights the community around this traditional craft, which is an important part of our monthly members’ meetings – sharing knowledge and building friendships.